”Allah” literally translated is “Al” “Illa” “The” “God” The God has 99 Names, but “The God” is not His Name, it is Who He is:
هُوَ اللَّهُ “He is The God:” 1. [The God! La ilahla illa Huwa (there is no god but He)! To Him belong The Best Names]. (20:8)
2. [He is The God, than Whom there is La ilaha illa Huwa (there is no god but He) The All-Knower of the unseen & the seen (open). He is The Most Beneficent, The Most Merciful]. (59:22)
3. [He is The God than Whom there is La ilaha illa Huwa (there is no god but He) The King, The Holy, The One Free from all defects, The Giver of security, The Watcher over His creatures, The All-Mighty, The Compeller, The Supreme. Glory be to The God! (High is He) above all that they associate as partners with Him]. (59:23)
4. [He is The God, The Creator, The Inventor of all things, The Bestower of forms. To Him belong The Best Names. All that is in the heavens & the earth glorify Him. And He is The All-Mighty, The All-Wise]. (59:24)
One might classify “Allah” (i.e. The God) as a Name, because that is what He Calls Himself, & informs us how to address Him, by “Allah” (i.e. The God) or by The Most Merciful, The Loving, The All Knowing, etc. These are some of The 99 Names we should address Him.
5. [And The Most Beautiful Names belong to The God, so call on Him by them, & leave the company of those who belie or deny His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do]. (7:180)
6. [Say: Invoke The God or invoke The Most Beneficent (قُلِ ادْعُوا اللَّهَ أَوِ ادْعُوا الرَّحْمَٰن), by whatever name you invoke Him (it is the same), for to Him belong The Best Names]. (17:110)
His Names are not like our names, example: we don’t say, “he is the Bob” or “she is the Karen” etc. His Names are Who He is, “He is The All Knowing – He is The Most Merciful, etc. ” The” is the emphasis that there is no other, He “is” “The….” – His Names can not be used nor belong to any other but Him.
The Noble Quran
Yusuf Ali Translation of The Holy Quran
The Truth About Islam